Wednesday, June 18, 2014

New World Scout Headquarters

Today the World Scout Bureau opened its new office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. See comments below from Scott Teare, Secretary General of WOSM.


"Beginning in early 2013 with my new assignment as Secretary General, I visited Kuala Lumpur for the first time in this new capacity for me in Scouting. Since then, I have been returning regularly to what has now become my home. Each time I commute from the airport, the city center, the office, or from my apartment… I am struck by how welcoming, diverse and vibrant this city is. With every trip, I cannot resist making the connection between World Scouting and Kuala Lumpur. Because you see KL and World Scouting both are welcoming, diverse and vibrant. Both embody a unique representation of modern life, driven by young people who are engaged and animated by strong values.

"So let me warmly and officially thank His Excellency, the Prime Minister of Malaysia and the whole Government of Malaysia for fully supporting the Grand Opening of this new office. We are delighted to be here in Brickfields, in a modern office connected to easy and fast moving means of transportation to the city and to the KL International Airport. This is very important for us as we will welcome our volunteers and staff from across the globe more or less on a daily basis. On this note, I extend a warm welcome to the representatives of the World Scout Committee who have been extremely supportive during this transition period of setting up the new office. As you know, the Scout Movement is a volunteer-based movement and volunteers are the lifeblood of our organization. Your dedication is incredible and we need more people like you, especially adult volunteers, to ensure that we grow this vibrant movement from 40 million members today to over 100 million members in less than 10 years’ time. And I know that we are all connected in sharing this vision of better scouting for more young people.

"When I said that Kuala Lumpur and Scouting were both diverse and inclusive, just look around you at the World Scout Bureau staff present that I also welcome warmly. The diversity of our staff is a key strength to ensure that we best support our 162 National Scout Organizations with respect, integrity, trust and excellence in service. These are the values, based on the Scout Promise and Law, that I would like each and every one of us as staff members to live by each and every day. If we live these values in our daily work, we will achieve our mission and my vision of better support to our customers."

Scott A. Teare
Secretary General, World Organization of the Scout Movement

http://scout.org/node/31168

No comments:

Post a Comment